Top 5 Ways to Prevent Frozen Pipes
With freezing temperatures creeping their way into Monroe County, now is the time to consider the risk of frozen pipes. Taking steps to prevent pipes from freezing is a lot easier than dealing with the mess after your pipes freeze.
Here are the Top 5 ways to prevent pipes from freezing:
1) Garages Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
2) Kitchens and Bathrooms Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
3) Faucet Drip When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
4) Thermostat Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
5) Extended Leave If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
Source: Red Cross