Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Treating Mold After Flooding
Aggressively control mold in the weeks and months after the flood.
- When power is available, continuously use air conditioning (or heat in winter) plus a dehumidifier, if possible, to remove humidity.
- In an unair-conditioned home, open windows and use fans to circulate air.
- Turn on electric lights in closets, and leave doors open to facilitate drying.
- Try to reduce activities that add moisture to the indoor air, and use exhaust fans when cooking and bathing.
Removing Mildew from Household Articles and Upholstery
Avoid disturbing and spreading mold spores indoors. Clean mildewed items outdoors. Learn and take precautions to minimize exposure to mold.
- Use a HEPA vacuum, if available, to remove visible mold growth. Discard the vacuum bag. Otherwise, wipe with damp paper towels, discard, and seal in plastic bags.
- Dry items in the sun, if possible.
- Sponge any remaining mildew with thick suds or a commercial cleaner designed for the type of material.
- Wipe with a clean, barely damp cloth.
- Wipe mildew-stained areas with a cloth dampened with SERVPRO antimicrobial. Dry thoroughly.
Source: Texas A&M
Mold M-O-L-D, The very sound of the word makes a normal person cringe. This mold is no joke. It can come in and without you noticing turn your once beautiful home into a world of bad smells and lots of coughing. Here at SERVPRO, we look at mold as more of an opportunity than a problem. The staff at SERVPRO is Highly trained in the protocols of the (IICRC). That means when SERVPRO comes to your home you can expect excellent service and even better results. The process for mold is very simple, the team comes in and first must identify the source of the loss. Once the source is found the team can begin the remediation process. First by containing the affected area by putting up a barrier usually 6 mil plastic with zippers and a clean zone before you walk into the affected area. After that its time to go to work.
Mold is the motive
Mold is one of those things that really get peoples blood flowing. The fear that this micro-organism brings to the table scares man and women alike. It comes out of nowhere and sticks around till the fat lady sings. The team at SERVPRO loves mold! Especially our 3 CMI'S (Certified Mold Inspector.) The proper training has been put in place to ensure when SERVPRO is on the job it will always be done right the first time. The technicians are trained and certified to handle the cleaning of mold growth. We can ensure that it is done safely and thoroughly so that your home is safe again. Mold has to have moisture to grow. The source could be cooking, washing, condensation, leaks from plumbing, humidifiers, or even from the outdoors. Inadequate ventilation can contribute to levels of higher humidity and leads to condensation, allowing the mold to grow.
Molds release spores as small as .3 microns into the air, so when it grows inside your home, the number of fragments and spores is usually higher than it would be outdoors since this occurs in a confined space. The first step of the mold remediation process is to contain the area where the mold is growing in your home. Doing so prevents the spores from spreading to areas of your home that are clean when we disturb them during restoration. SERVPRO technicians can also set up HEPA filtered air scrubbers to extract airborne spores and mold particles.
Ways To Prevent mold growth in the home.
When it comes to mold growth in the home there are many options to protect your home or business. One of the first things you can do to prevent mold growth is to make sure that you have good ventilation moving throughout your house and also in your attic and crawlspace. One common misconception about mold is that the tighter the insulation the better the seal, which in turn will keep the house dry. But what is actually happening is that the lack of ventilation causes moisture in the air causing mold to begin to develop on the drywall. Mold attaches itself to household items such as drywall and paints on the walls. Having a dehumidifier in the home is always a very low-cost way to keep the moisture in your home under control. Crawlspaces or basement are another common area for mold to grow. The mold grows well with low light cold temps and high humidity so a crawlspace is like a weekend in Vegas for mold spores.
One thing you learn when working at SERVPRO is the ability to adapt to any situation that is thrown at you and one of the things SERVPRO gets called for very often is to identify mold or go on mold scopes and determine the condition of the structure being scoped. When one of the Certified Mold Inspectors comes in to scope a house for mold they are very prepared for what is to come. The team goes through continues training to stay up to date on all new protocols and procedures. One of the main things that the team does is they go in and try to identify exposed mold when the source is found the team works outwards from the source. If no mold is visible the team can then execute an air-o-cell mold test. The machine draws 150 (L) of air into an air-o-cell then gets sent to the lab for further investigation.
How to prevent mold after a water leak in your home
A massive storm just swept your area, Your water main broke while you were out to dinner, The washing machine is over flowing . Any of these things can happen at any time. To protect your house from mold you need to take action quickly, When the time comes are you ready for anything? We here at SERVPRO are here to help you. In the article we will go over what to do when these things happen. First thing to do is CALL SERVPRO! that way we can get their in a timely fashion and get the process started. By calling us right away we can begin mitigation and avoid mold spores from growing. Start to move any furniture that is in the effected area. Once SERVPRO arrives take a breather and relax . WE GOT THIS! By being proactive and getting ahead of the issues you will be fine with SERVPROS help
How does mold form in the home?
Ever wonder how mold gets into your house, ever wonder if there s anything you can do to get rid of mold? Mold is very common this day an age and tons of people are constantly fighting to get rid of it but what people don't know is how it occurs in the first place. Mold needs certain criteria to grow. Things like a food source sounds weird but no we aren't going out for dinner with this one. Food sources for mold can include wood, drywall and cotton. Once the mold has a source it can spread. Mold a lot like people really like the heat. It also needs moisture as well. gotta stay hydrated you know? Mold likes to move in and stay as well. It takes about 24 to 48 hours to it to sign the lease and move in.
Residents: of Monroe & Pike Counties: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Monroe and Pike Counties for mold and remediation services
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Monroe and Pike Counties specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly re-mediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today –570-424-2290 for mold remediation services.
Does Your Monroe County Home Have A Mold Problem?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 570-424-2290